This post is also available in: Spanish
“Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission.” Catechism of the Catholic Church 1213
The Sacrament of Baptism for children under 7 years old* is regularly celebrated every third Saturday of the month in English at 10:30 a.m., and every first Saturday of the month in Spanish at 10:30 a.m.
I’d like to get my child baptized. Where should I start?
We are delighted that you have chosen to have your child baptized at our parish! Here are your next steps:
- Fill out the baptism form below (OR come by to the parish office at 4329 Sano Street to fill out a Baptism Registration Form OR download it here, fill it out, and email it to email@example.com)
- Bring a copy of the child’s birth certificate to the parish office (or bring the original and we will be happy to make a copy!)
- Attend a baptism class: parents and godparents all need to attend
- we offer Baptism classes every first (English) and third (Spanish) Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the Parish Office Conference Room (4329 Sano Street). Call or visit the parish office to register.
- Submit sponsorship letters for both godparents from their home parishes, inquiring that they:
- are at least 16 years old
- are Catholics who have been baptized, confirmed, and received the Eucharist
- are practicing (go to Mass on Sundays)
- are single or if married must be married in the Church
After everyone has attended a class and we have all the paperwork, will be happy to schedule a baptism for your child!
Please note classes and baptisms may be subject to change.
How should I choose the godparents? Do they have to be members of QofA as well?
First and foremost, the godparents must satisfy the requirements listed above. Careful thought should be given to the choice of godparents. The godparent is to be added spiritually to the immediate family of the one to be baptized and also represents the Church. Professing and living their Catholic faith, the godparents are to help the parents bring up their child to profess and live that same faith. They do not have to be members at Queen of Apostles.
Dr. Robert J. Matava, Dean of the Christendom College Graduate School in Alexandria, wrote an article for the Arlington Catholic Herald that explains the requirements of a godparent as listed by the Code of Canon Law.
Could I have greater/fewer than 2 godparents?
There may only be up to 2 godparents: one male and one female. You may, however, also only have one godparent, if you prefer. A non-Catholic Christian may serve as a Christian witness, but cannot be a godparent.
What if one of the godparents cannot attend the baptism itself?
Someone can stand in for them as a proxy during the ceremony.
I am going to be a godparent for a child who will be baptized at another parish, and I was told I need a sponsorship letter. How do I get one?
If you are a registered parishioner at QofA we will be happy to help you with a letter. Call the front desk at 703-354-8711 ext. 10 and we can set up a meeting with a priest for you.
Do I have to attend a class at Queen of Apostles?
No, you do not have to attend a class with us. However, if you attend elsewhere, we will need a proof of attendance.
How can I register for the class at Queen of Apostles? Do I need to bring anything?
Classes in English occur on the first Tuesday of the month at 7:30pm. Classes in Spanish occur on the third Tuesday of the month at 7:30pm. All classes are held in the Parish Office at 4329 Sano Street.
Call the parish office and tell the front desk you would like to register for an upcoming class. Walk-ins are welcome too! Bring a notebook if you would like to take notes. We also recommend bringing a free-will donation for the instructor.
Can I bring my children to the class?
Unfortunately, you may not bring your children to the class with you.
*What do I do if my child is older than 7?
If your child is above the age of 7, they will need to register for religious education classes. Contact DRE@queenofapostles.org for more information or visit the Faith Formation > Religious Education tab of our website.